Monday, May 9, 2011

on mother's day part I

Yesterday, mother's day, we went upstate to visit Mike's sisters.  We wanted to be together for this first one without Bernadette, were scared of how it might feel if we were separated and left with our thoughts for the entire day.  I thought it would be difficult, but instead, something surprising happened.  We were happy.  There were moments of sad quiet, but that happiness outweighed them, and I was reminded that we really are coming through.  As we walked above the Hudson, the wind carried their laughter, and I watched and listened as the three of them worked on finding their way back.  I said a silent mother's day thanks to Bernadette for bringing them into the world, for raising them to be such wonderful people, for filling us all with so much love that even without her here to remind us, we know we will be alright. 


No comments:

Post a Comment