Wednesday, November 28, 2012

on a thankful day

Thursday morning I rushed around the apartment, rushed to a cab, rushed to 59th and Lex, only to wait for twenty-five minutes for the Jitney out to the North Fork.  I rushed, to wait.  There's something poignant in there I think. 

Just under two hours later the bus pulled over to the side of Main Street in Cutchogue.  In front of Scoops Ice Cream and a few doors down from the diner and the church turned library.  I stepped off the bus, wished the driver a Happy Thanksgiving, and walked the half mile to my Mum's.  



It was perfectly quiet and clear and cool and I found myself smiling as I walked.  If I had been a character in a movie there'd have been good music, something to make sure the audience knew that this meant I was happy.  That something deep inside felt calm and at ease.  

I walked in the back door to hugs and the familiar high pitched, but welcoming, squeal of my mom.  Aunts, uncles, cousins, and my Mum.  A cacophony of family.  And it was good.  And I was thankful. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment