Wednesday, December 7, 2011

on A Practical Wedding, the book

I've mentioned before that I started writing this blog after a piece I wrote appeared on A Practical Wedding.  When I wrote it I just thought of what I wanted to say to other people who were dealing with loss, or something less tragic but still overwhelming, around the time of their wedding.  I wanted them to know that there was room for being both sad and joyful and that, most of all, you don't know how strong you are until the world shows you.    

I thought I would write the post and that would be the end of it.  I didn't know that I would start writing here which would lead me to you and the writing class and a confidence I didn't know I had.  I didn't know I would write a follow-up on the site a few months later.  And I certainly didn't think it would bring me the email last Spring from Meg's copy editor asking for permission to use a few lines from my post in her book (which I just bought today, and if you know of anyone who is or will be planning a wedding anytime in the future, you should too. It's filled with advice that is sane, reasonable, meaningful and, well, practical.)

It's just a few sentences, but I am so proud to be a part of this.  I am inspired daily by the people who are the community on the APW site.  It is not a wedding site.  I wouldn't be reading 16 months after my wedding if it were.  And this is not solely a wedding book.  The community Meg has built talks and writes about partnership and loss and love and children and not wanting children and not being able to have children and gender equality and marriage equality and everything else in between.  I am honored to be along for the ride.

available at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and IndieBound.



1 comment: