Thursday, July 7, 2011

on a camp day

There is a pace I have come to know over my years of working on this block.  But today it is slower.  Something about pushing through thick air saps the energy out and makes you wish for anything but here. 

So I’ve decided we should be at summer camp today.  That it is just too hot to be a grownup.  I should have woken up, had some breakfast, been dropped off at camp to play with my friends, and not have come here.  At lunch I would have a soggy peanut butter and jelly sandwich (my mom put the peanut butter on both pieces of bread in an effort to avoid this, but it never really worked).  In the afternoon I would go to the beach for swimming lessons and Jesse would let me sit next to him on the bus, solidifying my hunch that he would in fact propose to me by the end of the day.  After the beach we would head back to camp where we'd most likely build some sort of craft out of Popsicle sticks and Elmers, half of which would be eaten by Jesse.  But that would be ok, because love transcended glue-eating 7 year-olds.

But instead we’re here.  It’s a strange thing to be jealous of 7-year olds.  But today I kind of am.

and this from Three Potato Four.  I'd like to be doing this as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment