Wednesday, July 13, 2011

on somebody's getting married...



On the morning of my wedding I was getting ready when I heard my brother singing this through the window outside my room.  It's a silly thing, but it is one of my favorite wedding day memories.  And so I sent it to my friend Josh this morning since he is getting married on Sunday. 

This weekend is a wedding weekend.  On Saturday we'll head upstate for my cousin Kristen's wedding (made extra celebratory because it will be the first time I see my Dad and Stepmom in 11 months) and on Sunday, we drive to Carlisle, Pennsylvania for my friend Josh's wedding. 

Josh and I met my first day at NRDC nearly 8 years ago.  He was a temp in the mailroom and the first time I saw him he was listening to Coltrane and reading Hegel.  A stack of books was next to him.  And I thought, this is no ordinary temp.  I made him my friend even though he was too smart for me and we bonded over our love of music and words, our long distance relationships and then his long distance breakup, his attempts to get into a philosophy doctoral program, his many drafts of papers on phenomenology, his leaving the city for school, and then his meeting a woman who he thought was the one.  And now my friend has his doctorate and will be teaching at Penn State in the fall.  And he will be married on Sunday. 

Josh asked me to do a reading at the ceremony and so I am currently looking at a full page excerpt of Plato's Symposium.  No "love is patient, love is kind" here.  As I said, he was no ordinary temp.

"...And so, when a person meets the half that is his very own… something wonderful happens: the two are struck from their senses by love, by a sense of belonging to one another, and by desire, and they don’t want to be separated from one another, not even for a moment..."

No comments:

Post a Comment